Friday, 22 November 2013

Where do we begin? The future of blogging



Where do we begin?

Hey everyone, welcome to my new blog ‘Social Switch’. My name is Michael and this is my first ever post into the Blogosphere. I look forward to seeing what comes of this adventure over the next few months. Half the battle when writing can be deciding what to write about, or maybe more to the point is what to write about that will actually be interesting for others to read. I personally do enjoy writing, although I do sometimes tend to ramble on a bit. I will do my best to limit this in my posts and be concise and straight to the point. 

Being that this is the first post I struggled somewhat where to begin. Maybe this was due to a little fear of the unknown; at the same time though I feel some excitement in learning a new skill and being able to share my thoughts on some very interesting topics. I look forward to learning and sharing over the next few months more about mobile devices which I have plenty of experience with using and twitter which I have used on occasions. I also am looking forward to delving into topics like politics and wikileaks in which I have some knowledge, as well as learning about the last 2 topics simulacra and produsage as they are completely new to me.



Does blogging have a future? 

One thing we can be sure of is the fact that internet most definitely is not a fad, it is here to stay. New forms of media and the growth in technology will continue for a long time to come. Social media platforms have exploded in popularity, if we look back at the origins of social media, blogging is central to where it all began. It has come a long way since the first online journal which gave us the ability to write about our thoughts and ideas, then publish and share them with everyone. 

Social media and blogging together have revolutionised how we engage and share news and ideas. The platform has given everyone a voice; through writing posts and conversations about those posts, to sharing videos and pictures. On their own, pictures tell a great story. 

Traditional media did at first write off blogging, but now they see blogging as crucial. The fastest growth is seen in the desire for traditional media to have faster, cheaper and real-time platforms to distribute their content. Blogs have a broad reach, the integration of many social media platforms to promote have ensured larger audiences read posts and thus have seen an increased use by influential groups such as politicians, media, corporate highflyers and celebrities. This has turned blogs into an essential means of communication especially if you wish to attract wider audiences.

Another aspect that will continue to see the blogosphere grow and survive is the increased growth and use of mobile devices making for easier access at virtually anytime. This helps support the continued growth of multimedia platforms that encourages and attracts wider audiences through the availability and ability to use multiple media platforms in blogs. This has greatly enhanced the user’s ability to package information in different formats to reach much larger audiences. 

The continued growth of social media and multimedia platforms and the increased use of blogs by the traditional media, corporations and leaders as well as individuals wishing to have a voice ensures blogging does have a strong future.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michael - very captivating first post. I think it's really interesting that traditional media initially wrote off blogging. It's funny to see how naive and stuck in our ways we can be with change. Particularly in relation to technology. I'm not sure if you're across the demise of the Nokia and Kodak businesses as a result of their reluctance to embrace the digital movement, but if not, it's definitely worth looking into.

    ReplyDelete